Spring - Wibbly Wobbly Soup
What to find:
One small leek washed and chopped
One large wobbly carrot
One large knobbly potato
One tablespoon Olive oil
I litre vegetable stock
One tablespoon chopped parsley
Freshly ground pepper
What to do:
1. Carefully peel and cut the vegetables into small chunks.
2. Heat the butter and oil in a pan.
3. Add the onion, carrot and potato cook gently for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add enough stock to cover the vegetables.
5. Cover with a lid and simmer until the vegetables are soft (8 -10 minutes).
6. Purée the cooked vegetables (in a food processor) or see note for step six.
7. Mix in the rest of the stock and return to the pan.
8. Add the parsley and heat gently.
Note for Step Six:
If you don’t have a food processor, mash the soft vegetables with a potato masher. Little bashes keep the vegetables in the pan.
Leeks are available from autumn through to spring. Young leeks can be steamed; older ones are delicious in Wibbly Wobbly soups. Leeks (especially home grown ones) can be tricky to wash – so, try soaking them in a bowl of water for 15 minutes before you use them. Remove the stem and cut off the tougher green tops
ALWAYS HAVE A GROWN-UP IN THE KITCHEN WHEN YOU COOK