Tea - Blueberry Muffins
Cooking time 20-25 minutes
What to find:
150g small blueberries
300g self raising flour
75g unrefined caster sugar
One tablespoon poppy seeds
125ml vegetable oil
What to do:
1. Put the oven on 190°C or Gas Mark 5
2. Put the muffin cases into the muffin tray. Weigh out the dry ingredients together.
3. Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl and add the caster sugar and poppy seeds. Put a damp cloth under the bowl to stop it slipping.
4. Crack the egg into a small bowl.
5. Measure out the oil and then the milk.
6. Whisk the oil and milk together with a balloon whisk, making little stirs, in a large measuring jug (the liquids).
7. Add the egg to the milk and the oil, and mix well with your small whisk or a fork will do just as well.
8. Add the blueberries to the dry ingredients. Quickly add the liquid ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture is ‘just’ mixed.
9. Use a desert spoon, to spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and use a scrapper to get the last of the mixture out of the bowl.
10. Put the tray into the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.
11. Transfer the hot muffins from the tray to a cooling rack – they will go soggy if you leave them in the tray to cool.
Notes for Adventurous Cooks:
Try using frozen blueberries or note the changing seasons by using blackberries or blackcurrants. You will need to add a little more sugar (25g) if you use blackberries.
ALWAYS HAVE A GROWN-UP IN THE KITCHEN WHEN YOU COOK